Sunday, April 1, 2012

Making our thinking "Sticky"

     The above chart was taken from a tweet I read this fall and has been one that my class has come back to again and again. How do readers read deeply or "submarine read"? Readers have to make their thinking "sticky". I told my class this year that their are two main ways readers can make their important thinking about books "stick" (to their brains), to become readers who dive deep into reading to understand.


1. Talk about your thinking to someone else
2. Write about your thinking


Throughout the year we've been pushing ourselves as a class to talk and write about what we read to better understand, remember and extend meaning of what we read. 


     As much as education is changing I believe that conversations and written responses will remain essential building blocks to literacy instruction. Every year around this time I start to see the magic of talking about books throughout the year emerge. Our conversations are becoming more lively, more kids are sharing their thinking, deeper meaning is emerging through great conversation. Reader's notebooks remain the spot where our writing reflects where our brain has been in the book. This post from Tracy helped give me a way to breathe some new life into our reader's notebooks.
     The phrase below helps our class make deep reading a habit. Readers have to be motivated to understand and make important thinking "stick".  Talking and writing about thinking is a habit we hope to do daily in our reader's workshop! It is a habit I hope I as a teacher am squeezing time in for daily, because I believe it is essential to deep comprehension.


How do you encourage kids to talk about their thinking or write about their thinking?


  

4 comments:

  1. Amy I love the sailboat submarine analogy. Perfect for so many ages. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember who gave me this analogy to begin with - it is a stolen idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your anchor chart is the perfect lead into my mini-lesson on Monday...thank you for sharing!!! Also, thanks for reminding us to make sure there is a balance of conversation and writing. During the "testing" month, remembering that balance is important! :) One thing that sparked conversation in my room this year was book partners. I had students pick books in pairs, and schedule conversation meetings. The students jotted on their own, but the pairs were a great incentive to encourage reading nightly, setting reading goals, and making time for conversation. I listened in to conversations from the outside. The other perk...students started to bond over their literacy choices. Can't wait to talk to you this summer...we can bond over our first year back in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Great idea on having book partners pick paired books to get kids talking more and writing more, as well as setting reading goals. I want to do this before the year is out... Your ideas always get me thinking! I'd love to chat this summer:)

    ReplyDelete